Cleaning the Environment
Head lice cannot survive more than approximately 24 hours off the head, so consider where the infected individual has been in the past 24 hours.
- Remove bed linens, towels and pajamas and replace with clean bedding and pjs. Put used linens in the hamper for 24 hours or wash and dry on hot temperatures.
- Lightly vacuum couches, carpets, and car seats or throw a blanket over them for 24 hours.
- Remove bedspreads or comforters that the infested person came in contact with for 24 hours or throw in a hot dryer for 30 – 45 minutes.
- Place any loveys, stuffed animals etc. that your child sleeps with in a hot dryer for 30 minutes.
- Clean combs, brushes, and hair ties used in the last 24 hours by either soaking in alcohol, ammonia or dish detergent for at least 2 hours, boiling for 10-15 minutes, placing in a Ziplock bag in freezer for 2 hours, or washing in dishwasher on hot cycle. (Or simply do not use them for 24 hours)